Anima Mundi Productions Seeks Operations Director
Job Title: Operations Director
Classification: W4 Employee.
Location: Hybrid remote/in-person. While most of the work can be done from home, the ideal candidate will be located near Ashland, Oregon to attend in-person events.
Expected start date: December 2022
Reports to: Executive Director [Ethan Gans-Morse]
Compensation: Starting at $25/hour. Hours flexible and subject to increase after regular periods of review.
Anima Mundi Productions is growing! We’re a performing arts non-profit specializing in unique concerts, and we’re looking for an operations director to assist with concert production, event planning, and daily operations. This hybrid position will include considerable flexibility of schedule and the chance to work from home with approximately 3-6 large in-person events to produce per year. The organization is community-focused and connects each musical production with our larger mission.
About us and our mission
Anima Mundi means “The Soul of the World,” and our mission is to harness the power of the performing arts to stir the soul, foster community, and address urgent social and environmental challenges. We strive toward this goal by producing an annual 3-concert series, which we call our Heart of Humanity series, dedicated to bringing together world-class musicians for original productions that turn the concert hall into a space for renewed hope, communal healing, and mutual understanding.
To date, Anima Mundi Productions has commissioned and premiered 13 new works, including 7 works by BIPOC composers, and 6 works by women composers. Our concerts, which range from intimate duo recitals to staged operas, have addressed such themes as combat PTSD, immigration and asylum seekers, racial justice, environmental issues, homelessness, women’s rights, and social disparities during the Covid pandemic.
Our work environment
We’re small but mighty. Our core staff ranges from 3-5, and our budget is approximately $250,000. But we’ve carried out successful partnerships with Seattle Opera, Chamber Music Northwest, Oregon Bach Festival, and other established presenters across the Pacific Northwest. Much of our daily work takes place by phone and video meetings with the aid of cloud-based computer systems like Google Drive and Monday.com. Most of our live events take place in or near Ashland, Oregon. We are artists ourselves, and our commitment to the experience of our performers and patrons drives us.
What we’re looking for
The ideal candidate will be structured, self-motivated, attentive to detail, passionate about the work we do, and able to work both collaboratively and independently. This will be the first time that Anima Mundi Productions has a dedicated Operations Director, and we’re looking for someone who will grow with the company. Must be located in the wider Southern Oregon area and able to attend live events in Ashland.
Key activities of this role:
- Maintain the organization’s calendar, database, mailing list, and records
- Answer the phone during business hours (remotely using the Grasshopper app)
- Log financial transactions in database and accounting software
Heart of Humanity Concert Series general operations:
- Coordinate logistics for visiting artists’ travel, lodging, rehearsals
- Communicate with sponsors (in collaboration with Executive Director) and patrons (in collaboration with Patron Services Manager)
Education and community engagement
- Assist with education and community activities, including but not limited to:
- Booking venues, helping to produce community/school visits
- Maintaining databases of contacts and other logistics
- Establishing new outreach partnerships with community leaders
- Maintain donor records and contact reports
- Participate in fundraising events
- Assist Executive Director on grant-writing activities and reports
- Social media management
- Assist the Executive Director with marketing
- Bachelor’s degree in music or arts management or equivalent
- Skill/familiarity with MS Office software, Google Suite
- Basic databasing and spreadsheets
- Basic computer skills
- A minimum of two years of nonprofit work in some capacity (including internships, assistantships, etc.) or equivalent
- Valid driver’s license (own vehicle strongly preferred)
- Ability to coordinate projects with others
- Advanced degree in arts management, business, or related fields
- Adobe Creative Suite or similar software to produce:
- Graphic design
- Professional-quality documents
- Marketing materials
- Short videos
- Social media graphics
- Familiarity with social media management software
- A track record of successful event planning, direction, and management (fundraising and/or performing arts events)
- 5+ years of relevant nonprofit experience, preferably in arts administration
- Basic bookkeeping (in coordination with our company bookkeeper)
- Writing and editing skills, which could include experience with:
- Concert program notes
- Donor appeal letters
- Website design/copy
- Marketing copy
- The accepted candidate will be hired for an initial exploratory contract (1099), which will last no more than four weeks. Thereafter, the contract will then shift to W4 employment.
- The employee will log hours using time tracking software.
- We anticipate this position will average 25 hours per week. For candidates with specialized training such as bookkeeping, marketing, or graphic design, starting hours may exceed 30 hours/week.
- This position will likely require some full-time commitments (40 hours/week) in the 1-3 weeks immediately preceding and including concerts and related events.
- The employee (Operations Director) will be instrumental in designing their own hours and schedule.
- Our long-term (1-3 year) goal for this position is for it to become full time.
- Starting compensation will be $25/hour.
- At least one time per year, the employer and the employee will meet for a mutual review, which will include the opportunity for each party to make adjustments and for the employee to request a raise based on hours logged, the nature of the work being done, and the financial status of the company.
Equal opportunity employer
Anima Mundi Productions does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Because this position does require occasional lifting and carrying of event materials during live productions, please advise in writing of special physical accommodations needed at the time of application.
Please send resume (including references) and cover letter to
Executive Director Ethan Gans-Morse
Videos about our previous projects:
(Use the thumbnails and arrows to scroll through the 8 videos)
Learn more about Anima Mundi Productions at https://animamundiproductions.com